Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Bead of a Different Breed

My journey into making beads actually began ten years before I ever picked up my first glass rod. My medium then was Polymer Clay. My style evolved over the years and I eventually began creating sketched beads. My favorite subject matter, of course, was cats.

I shaped and baked the bead and then hand sketched very detailed portraits of kitties. The bead was then sealed under a layer of liquid polymer, baked again and finished with a protective coating. I did the sketching under extreme magnification using an opti-visor. Sadly, after several years, I had to give this art form up due to terrible headaches and rapidly failing vision. I enjoyed it while it lasted, and while I do miss making kitty beads, I have all the photos to look back on and smile. I did manage to keep a few for myself, but the following photos are beads that I sold.















5 comments:

Raspberry Rings said...

Those pussy cats are AWESOME! ;0)

Raspberry Rings said...

Those Pussy Cats are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow Dawn, these are just gorgeous. It's really sad that you had to stop.

Kitties & Cupcakes said...

I really wish I could have bought one of these years ago. You KNOW I love these beads! Meow!

Jinx Garza said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your technical skills are amazing and your subjects are, of course, so beautiful. So glad you kept these and shared them with us.